15 to 26 April 2013
Australian Refugee Law & Practice
Whether you intend to provide advice to people with refugee or other humanitarian claims independently or under the Immigration Advice and Application Assistance Scheme (IAAAS), this short course will equip you with the skills and knowledge to effectively represent people seeking asylum in Australia.
This course will assist:
- lawyers working in migration law
- Australian Migration Agents
- officers of Legal Aid Commissions
- employees of the Australian Public Service
- Non Government Organisations and community groups involved in refugee settlement and advocacy
- students who have completed the Graduate Certificate in Migration Law and Practice.
From 15 April 2013, online materials and activities will prepare you for an intensive weekend in Sydney. This face to face weekend (20 & 21 April) is delivered by expert practitioners and Accredited Specialists in Immigration Law.
The course concludes with another week of online study and interaction to provide clarification and extra resources.
Don't miss this opportunity to learn from the experience of some of Australia's most highly qualified experts.
- Introduction to international refugee law and the role of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Australia's protection obligations
- Refugee determination in Australia
- Onshore Refugee and Humanitarian Program (visas, procedures and review)
- Offshore Refugee and Humanitarian Program
- Effective use of interpreters and translators
For more information
Learn how to:
- Explain fundamental principles of international law and its relationship to domestic law
- Interpret and apply Australian migration law
- Analyse and interpret relevant case law
- Establish and present an effective protection claim
- Describe the role of international organisations (UNHCR) and non government organisations
- Devise appropriate strategies for providing effective advice to clients
- Communicate effectively with vulnerable clients in both formal and informal settings
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders
- Achieve the best outcomes for your clients